Sunday, September 08, 2013

Autumn Joys

Autumn on the Saanich Peninsula
G. Cornwall, c. October, 2012

Come my orange pumpkin,
my roly-poly treat,
come my red-flamed maple leaf,
rain-soaked upon my feet.

Fall fairs abound,
trips out of town,
prize cows and pigs
-fresh pies to eat!

Rubber boots and cozy sweaters,
nothing can be better
than a bushel basket full of apples
cold, crisp and freshly picked.

Think not ahead to winter
nor back upon the summer's heat;
be here within this moment,
upon this land replete.

-Gillian Cornwall, September 8, 2013.


 Saanich Apple
G. Cornwall, c. October 2012.

A Wet Autumn Day
G. Cornwall, c. October 2012.

2 comments:

Hotel_Goddess said...

I love autumn! Nothing compares to warm apple comfort!

Gillian said...

Indeed. There is something about the harvest and the change of season that instills in me a sense of safety and comfort.